Saturday, July 13, 2024

My Top 5 Favorite Things About Copper Harbor Michigan

Just after the beginning of July we took a trip to Copper Harbor, Michigan. It's a beautiful place my husband visits often, a place I've wanted to explore ever since he described it to me. Spoiler alert: I fell in love with this quiet little town on the lakeshore of Lake Superior. I decided to put together a list of all my favorite things about Copper Harbor so that if you need a new adventure you'll know right where to go.

Copper Harbor is at the way tippy top of Michigan's Upper Peninsula. They call it 'true north.' I imagine it's because in Michigan you can say you're going up north from many locations in Michigan but, that far north is truly north. 

Trees, Tree canopy, blue skies, Copper Harbor


My husband has traveled to Copper Harbor several years in a row on a guys mountain biking trip. This year, his 8th time going, (Didn't I say it's one of his favorite places?) he decided to bring us a long. In passed years he described it to me as, 'like a different world,' and 'like nothing you've ever seen before.' He wasn't kidding when he also said, 'you just have to see it for yourself.' After so many visits Ryan ended up being our own personal tour guide. He showed us all his favorite places and things, where to go and what was what. 

It turns out, he was right! And I'm so glad I finally got to experience Copper Harbor for myself. Here's my top 5 favorite things (believe me it was hard to narrow it down) about Copper Harbor:


Cooper Harbor Michigan, Lake views, Lake Superior, beach

The Views

Fog, the bay, Lake Superior, cliffs, waterfalls. I could go on but these were my favorite things about the views of Copper Harbor. I don't think I will ever forget the fog. The first day we arrived in town the fog was so thick coming off of Lake Superior it was like a wall along the winding road. After the trees it was just nothingness. 

Every day around noon the fog lifted, just as Ryan said it would, and we had sunny, 75 degree days. Watching the fog roll in from the lake was ominous but, so neat. Every time I witnessed it I had to pause to take in the entire scene. 

Copper Harbor, view of Lake Superior

Growing up in West Michigan I've starred at Lake Michigan sunsets, storms, waves, lightning and calm waters on a very straight horizon. It's easy to spot boats and once in a great while you can almost see what looks like Wisconsin across the lake but, never do you see more land. Seeing land out in the lake is different and so beautiful.

Harbor House

With a beautiful view of an inlet of Lake Superior this white linen restaurant is the finest dining in Copper Harbor. You wouldn't guess such an establishment would be found here but that's the real charm of it. Fresh fish, risotto, a wine list a mile long, delightful salads on field greens and potatoes in several styles, make for an excellent meal. It's a must have.



Rocky Beaches

I grew up just a 6 minute walk from a sandy beach on Lake Michigan. I was lucky! There were plenty of outlets, small streams, piers and lakes not far from home but none of them gather stones like the beaches along Lake Superior. I could spend an entire day sitting rocks in search for unique stones and beach glass (the real fresh water treasure.)

Rocks, Beach, Lake Superior


History

I love little towns that preserve parts of history that shaped today. Copper Harbor is one place that has done a great job preserving history. It's also a place- the copper mines and Fort Wilkins that shaped Michigan history. Seeing just a small glimpse into the past always gives me perspective and appreciation for our ways of life. 



Nature

There's so many things I can say about experiencing nature in Copper Harbor. The fog, the wild flowers, the cliffs (OMG the cliffs), the waterfalls and tall tall trees, are so beautiful. Once you cross the Mackinaw Bridge into the Upper Peninsula the world just feels different. 

Being in a different place than the one you see every day tends to shift my mindset and perspective but being in a different place, surrounded by nature causes my worries and stress to fall away. Seeing that much beauty right in front of your eyes is amazing. 


Now you know why I (and my husband) love Copper Harbor Michigan and why he has returned again and again. It's truly a beautiful place to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Booked In Michigan

Subscribe

* indicates required